Bar managers make it possible to manage the drinking pub seamlessly operational and make profit keeping consistency with its foods and beverage standard, customer service and reputation. Being in the position of a key player, he should possess a very high level of leadership skill and management expertise. To become successful in this position in the fast developing hospitality trade, a bar manager job description can be explained as under
- To coordinate with his higher management in determining budget plan for the establishment and to bringing the facts and figures under attention of all senior level bar staffs including Asst. bar manager, head bartender, kitchen head or service manager;
- Preparing sales and service target plan for the year and dividing them into quarterly, monthly and daily basis. A bar manager should ensure that performance of the pub is in accordance with the set target;
- Since profitability of an establishment depends largely upon the wastage level, manpower loss and many other factors, he should be extremely caring about inventory management, stock rotation, documentation aside from cash flow and should foster the inter departmental communication system.
- Organize manpower plan in accordance with bar shifts, assigning job duties to bar staff in collaboration with his assistant or by himself. Strict but friendly supervision of services offered by the bar staff is significant to ensure that customers are turning back;
- Determine requirement for fresh staffs like waiters, cooks, bartenders; arranging hiring process; appoint and train staff; evaluate individual performance;
- Make sure that the restaurant or the pub operates as per the state rules and regulations; take care of renewal of bar license, payment of taxes and arrange for necessary audit;
- Bring innovation in products and services that help boost sales of the establishment. A bar manager must be aware about the local market competitors’ activities.
- Having been in a managerial position he is expected to lead, instruct and guide the bar employees irrespective of their rank on their daily activities, value their good conducts and evaluate performance; maintaining superior level of quality policy followed by health, hygiene and safety measures are some major responsibilities of a bar manager.
- He is the man who is accountable to supervise, review and appraise performance of individual employees. Based upon his evaluation report as higher performers can be rewarded and motivated, this will also help in uplifting the low performers.
- He should keep up regular liaise together with inventory manager, cellar-in-charge and service manager to determine up-to-date stock position at any given time. Stock should be handled in first-in-first-out method; Ensuring about the overall cleanliness and organization of the stock storage unit is also his duty.
- As a key man of the establishment while he should maintain quality relationships with all associates as well as customers, he should possess greater expertise to deal with the common in-house disputes, complaints and inquiries.
- Undergo safe and healthy practices making him a role model to all his associates, provide them guidelines to ensure overall safety, customer ease and satisfaction.
- In peak hours, he is supposed to accompany his colleagues to keep smooth, flawless business operation enabling his establishment to meet customer faith and fulfillment.
These sample bar manager job descriptions are just some highlights of this position. Real life bar managing need high skills on resource and man managing.