Responsibilities of a bar manager is to make sure that the bar runs smoothly and to ensure commercial viability of the establishment. This article talks about a bar manager responsibilities and duties that one is expected to perform.
A bar manager exercises control and regulation over the entire bar area. He organizes the activities of a bar, orders and directs bar staff such as bartenders, waiters and cooks to perform certain necessary duties. He allots them specific tasks on a daily basis and schedules shifts for bar staff. He regulates the dynamics of the bar with respect to time and customer traffic.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Ability to be authoritative.
- Should have sufficient experience in management.
- Good at allotting tasks to the right employees.
- A good team player and team leader.
- Efficiency in dealing with customers.
- Ability to handle pressure and solve problems.
The job role of a bar manager revolves around certain predetermined duties.
- He is expected to supervise the operations of a bar and plan effective strategies to optimize bar operations. He needs to be vigilant to study traits of staff so that he can allot tasks efficiently and to the right employee. This also helps him/her in scheduling and rescheduling shifts when there is excessive work pressure.
- A bar manager should observe and see patterns in customer demand. By doing so, he/she can predict the days on which there is more customer demand and the days where customer demand and work pressure shall be relatively lesser. This helps the him/her to schedule shifts for bar staff efficiently without exhausting or under utilizing manpower.
- Next, a bar manager needs to utilize the service of staff optimally. He needs to allot not just one task to an employee, but make each employee multi-task so that while some employees are working, the others are not sitting and wasting time. If some waiters are busy attending customers, the others should take care of the cleaning activities on each table after the customer has left and before a new customer arrives.
- Other than all this, a bar manager has commercial duties for the establishment. It is his duty to organize special events or conduct weekly events such as karaoke night, DJ night and so on since these are essential to draw in customers. He needs to have great commercial skills so that he can make strategy and conduct effective promotional campaigns and marketing campaigns to fulfill his duty of optimizing sales.
Certain Administrative Duties
- Checking stock and supply of food items and alcoholic beverages.
- Checking inventory on a daily basis.
- Ensuring maintenance of bar furniture and equipment.
- Keeping track of accounts
- Employment and training of staff.
- Implementing promotional strategies for increasing profitability of bar.
Bar Manager Job Responsibilities
The job responsibilities of a bar manager are quite a few in number since his role is very demanding.
- It is the responsibility of a bar manager to ensure that the bar does not commit to any malpractices and runs in harmony with state laws and regulations. He/she needs to manage customer relations and cater to the complaints of customers and solve them as quickly as possible.
- He needs to be authoritative while dealing with menace and trouble makers in the bar or pub so that the safety and peace of other customers is not compromised. The reputation of a bar is in the hands of the bar manager and makes his role pivotal.
- In most states, a bar manager needs to possess a license to facilitate sale of specific kinds of alcoholic beverages. For this purpose, he needs to maintain goodwill among local authority, police and other establishments.
- A bar manager is also responsible for employing staff for the bar or pub. He needs to ensure that the people he hires are capable of performing tasks efficiently. He also needs to train staff periodically so that they can better their services.
- Other than this, the bar manager has to secure the commercial viability and profitability of the bar. He needs to be business minded and keep a good knowledge of what is going on in the locality and what changes or offers are being made by local bars or pubs. He then needs to strategize and implement better ideas which shall serve more profitable for the bar.
These are the various duties and responsibilities of a bar manager which necessitate a high level of competency and skills. Anyone who wants to become a bar manager or who wants to hire a bar manager should assess all these aspects and qualities in order to make the business establishment famed and money making.