Bartending as a profession is slowly and steadily picking up pace along the years and throughout the world. Since it is gaining momentum, more and more people are getting inclined towards this dynamic profession. It has been noted that the annual growth rate of this industry is 10% which is the same as any other established industry.
This leads to generation of employment and a hike in the annual pay scale for bartenders. Since it is now being perceived as a suitable career path which offers secure income and growth prospects, it is but natural that more and more people are seeking employment in the bar industry. Let’s now look into just how much do bartenders make on an average.
Average Bartender Salary
While considering a career path, the most important factor that people consider is the annual income. Well in case of a bartender working in the United States of America, it has been found through research that the median annual income figures somewhere around $18,774 as of January 2016.
The annual income ranges from $16,498 to $24,542. This varying annual income is determined by many factors which impact the salary of a bartender. Factors such as size of the establishment, the location, experience and qualification of the bartender are some of the aspects to consider while determining the average annual salary of a bartender.
Other external factors that play in are bonus, benefits and tips which largely depend upon the status of clientele pertaining to the specific location in which the bar operates. If the bar operates in a posh area or within some reputed hotel or resort, obviously in such cases the tips earned by the bartender will be much more as opposed to the tips earned by a bartender in a local bar.
Cities with Income above National Average:
- Chicago, IL
- Denver, CO
- New York, NY
- Houston, TX
- Boston, MA
- Philadelphia, PA
- Los Angeles, CA
- Portland, OR
Cities with Income below National Average:
- Milwaukee, WI
- Las Vegas, NV
If speaking of an hourly wage, bartenders earn from $3.28 to $11.68 at the highest per hour, and their hourly income is around $16 on an average. This is because more than half of their income per hour is supplemented by tips. Hourly tips range from $2.33-$18.62 and it can reach as high as $400+ per night. Out of the total average hourly income of a bartender, nearly 55% is supplemented by tips. The other 45% is the wage.
It has been found that most bartenders are satisfied with their jobs and a majority of bartenders are women, 59% to be precise. Through survey it has been found that one-fifth of bartenders receive medical benefits and one-eighth of bartenders receive dental coverage. To add to that, bartenders earn overtime that ranges from $4.45-$19.00.
As a bartender gains experience, he/she may receive bonus which can go up to $497.43. Over and above that there is commission of $3000 and profit sharing of around $1,150 all of which are on an annual basis.
So, it can be concluded that a bartending job does fare well with future growth prospects. People aiming at a bartending career should try to gain as much experience in this particular profession since it shall benefit them immensely in the long run.